I have been practicing as a litigation lawyer for about 27 years. I am a Queensland Law Society Accredited Specialist in Commercial Litigation, having received the highest achiever award when I completed my accreditation in 2010.
I assist business and corporate clients to identify and manage risks, and resolve disputes that arise in the course of their business.
I also act for families and individuals in relation to contested Wills and estate disputes.
I have broad experience in the resolution of business and corporate disputes, and providing strategic risk management advice on commercial transactions, mergers and acquisitions. I have a particular interest in—
- Building and construction litigation
- Property-related litigation involving construction and development agreements, commercial leases and the purchase and sale of commercial and industrial properties
- Land resumption cases
- Intellectual property protection
- Financial services’ disputes and compliance
- Corporate disputes and shareholder actions
- Directors' and trustees' duties
- Conduct of contested meetings
- Estate litigation
- Advising trustee clients about trust governance issues, and applying to the courts for orders in relation to trusts and managed investment schemes
- Acting for parties in partnership, shareholder and joint venture disputes
- Franchising disputes
- Trade practices disputes, and
- Negligence actions, including negligence claims against directors, advisers and professionals.
I was one of the recipients of the ALB Insolvency Deal of the Year Award in relation to the ABC Childcare receivership and restructuring.
I act for clients from across industry groups, but I have a particular focus on—
- Funds management and financial services
- Building and construction, and
- Commercial property ownership and real estate developments.
My clients come from across SE Queensland (and sometimes farther afield). The majority are based in Brisbane, the Gold Coast and the Sunshine Coast.
I am a member of the Queensland Law Society Specialist Accreditation Committee for Commercial Litigation. This is the body that determines whether lawyers have met the criteria that enables them to claim to be specialists in commercial litigation.
For the past five years, I have been the chairman of the board of the Maleny Credit Union. The Maleny Credit Union is part of Maleny's proud heritage of cooperative organisations, and it strives to provide sustainable local banking to its members, and to support the community through a number of social initiatives and its Charitable Trust.
I have a life-long love of horses. My family owns (and occasionally breeds) Arabian horses. You can read more about this at Shadha Arabians.
I am also very proud to be the current president of the Maleny Pony Club.